Friday, January 25, 2008

I did great!

Well I did just fine. I knew there were going to be no problems, it's my mommy and daddy who were worried! My mommy only slept about 2 hours the night before (and daddy didn't get much sleep either), but I knew it would all be fine. The hardest part for me was that I couldn't have my mommy's milk after 3 a.m. Mommy and daddy tried to give me some really yucky pedialyte. I wasn't haven't it. We all woke up at 4 a.m. to getting ready to leave at 4:45. It was so cold and yucky outside. We arrived at University Hospital at 6 a.m. and then had to wait a little while. That was a challenge for mommy and daddy to keep my mind off of the fact that I was STARVING! They rocked me and paced the hallways and it worked a teeny tiny bit, I guess. Then they called my name and took me back to this huge area were there were lots of people waiting to have surgery. I was the only baby in the whole area and everyone wanted to take a look at me. We were escorted to a little area where there was a big bed on wheels. Then they brought be a gown... it was purple! I was hoping for something more boyish, but it worked. Then they brought be a warm blanket that was great. BUT I was still starving! They tried to give me my pacifier, normally I don't like it at all, but I tried to take it since it was all I got. Next the anesthesiologists came and met with us. Yes there were two! I guess they thought I was extra special because they brought a special one from Santa Rosa Children's hospital. She is a special doctor because she knows a lot about pediatrics, anesthesia and cardiology. She also has a 10-month old baby so she knows how to help me the best. They told mommy and daddy that because of my heart condition they wanted to take extra care of me. They explained that I would be given some medicine before they poked me for the IV, so it wouldn't hurt, YAY!! (Of course it took more than one stick!) Then Dr. Fry and Mr. Wenske came in and said that they were ready to go. Dr. Fry marked some purple letters on my face and then said she was ready. I don't know what she wrote, but it won't come off!

So at this point my mommy and daddy had to leave and the nice anesthesiologists carried me off as the other one (he was nice too) rolled my bed alongside. As soon as I was knocked out and intubated the nurse called to the waiting room and let mommy and daddy know I was doing fine. The next thing I knew I was all done and starving once again so I decided to make that known. I screamed my head off, this also helped my parents find me in the PACU (post anesthesia care unit). Then all they would feed me is that yucky pedialyte stuff again and water... but I drank a little bit, just because that's all I had. (The special anesthesiologist had to get a little mean towards the nurses because no one was getting me a bottle, thank you for that!!) I got to be in mommy's arms for a while so they could give me oxygen and monitor my heart and temperature. Then finally we all went to another room where my mommy was finally allowed to feed me!! After that I was out like a light and happy as can be.

After we left the hospital we went to my ocularist's office. He told mommy and daddy that everything went well and he was able to get my very first conformer in. It is clear and made out of plastic. There is a little handle that sticks out of my eye, you can see it in my photo above. Dr. Fry also told us that my right eye looks normal, so that's great! We have to go see Mr. Wenske (the ocularist) next week and we'll get a larger conformer. We have to go back each week for a while and then it will slow down a bit. We are so excited that we're finally on the road to get my prosthetic eye! We've got a LONG way to go, but we're going, so that's great!

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers it means so much to our family!


Debie said...

So sorry about the purple gown, dude! My Momo dropped off lots of my old clothes for you though so you can start sporting plenty of blue! I'm so glad you're doing so well, we're all rooting for you! Your buddy, Carter

Chelsea Kane Lietz said...

Great! I am so glad everything went well. I can't believe how big he has gotten already.